Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spring Has Sprung and Easter Eggs


If you blink in Ottawa you'll miss spring. It goes from winter to summer so quickly here. Spring will come back next week, I'm sure but it's been an interesting few days!

Earlier this week I did my first Ukrainian easter egg (pysanky) and I loved it. Remi got into it as well and even though it was really nice out yesterday, we were inside using candles and dye and making easter eggs.

I've always found this time of year interesting as it seems everybody's got some holiday around now, which has got to be a way to honour the new weather or the return of the son, I mean the sun, it's easy to get them mixed up. It just has to. I'm no scholar and there's loads to know about the Comparative Religion side of this time. I'm really just happy it's not freezing out. I'm celebrating, too.

On another note, I heard from my Ukrainian friend that one of their traditions is that around easter a boy brings a girl a whip (like pussy willows) and whips her until she gives him an egg (that she's decorated). Hmm. He pokes her with as stick until she gives him an egg. A sign of the fertility of spring perhaps?

I've made changes to my schedule and I'm nervous about Tuesday, which has been a certain way for over 8 years. It is going ahead as a yoga/meditation class and people are speaking out already - I've got some thumbs up, some thumbs down - and I'm not going to be rigid about it, if you really don't want to do it, we can go back to the old way. It just seemed like a good time to bring in something new. Or make something old new again. We could just resurrect the tradition, which seems to have been hidden in a cave behind a rock for a bit.

No comments: