Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Volunteering at the Fringe Festival

I knew that I would like volunteering at the Fringe Festival. I wanted to do something fun and help out and be a part of something good. I had no idea that what was going to happen was that it was going to be a total bonding experience with my daughter. I signed up for myself, to enrich my life, to connect, and what happened (what is happening) is that not only am I having a blast, my daughter is having the time of her life.

She said tonight that it feels like when we go to Omega. (We go to Omega Institute in New York every year now during Family Week and I teach yoga and she is in a program and runs around like a maniac.) She meant that she feels free and good and has freedom to run and play. This is in super-downtown Ottawa. She feels free.

Yesterday she was with me for a couple of hours when she is normally with her dad. In a case like that she'd usually come and hang out at Rama Lotus with me. This time she wanted to volunteer at the Fringe by herself. I checked it out and made sure it was cool and when I came back after teaching my class, she had stories. She had made connections, run errands, learned how to do the Volunteer Headquarters tasks. Today when we were to do our shifts together she said, "I call highlighting, t-shirts, and radio!" This basically meant there was nothing for me to do, but we found something.

She already has an interest and a passion for theatre. She says she probably got it from John, who used to bring her to the theatre a lot and continues to nurture her love of theatre even though it's to a much lesser degree now.

I've been on record saying I think the best thing that came out of my relationship with John was my car - I felt safe and good and like I could reach for something a bit better than what I had. On second thought, I think maybe his introducing Remi to the theatre is the best thing that came out of that relationship.

Speaking of On Second Thought...that's the name of my billet Paul's show at the Fringe. I saw it tonight and just about died. It was too funny. If you want a live LOL and I'm not kidding, go see his show. It's only ten bucks. Special mentions also to Catgut Strung Violin, which we saw today and Countries Shaped Like Stars, which we saw yesterday.

The thing that's so cool about live theatre is that it's live. Anything can happen. There's not a giant budget behind it. It's done by people, for people. I'm hooked. And the Fringe Festival in an opportunity to see tons of live shows at a cheap, cheap price.

One last mention - today I noticed the Bloggers Wine and Cheese and asked if I could get in because I have a blog and sure enough, I got in! And I got to meet some of the people whose blogs I read regularly. So that was another total unexpected treat from being at the Fringe. I was sorry to have to leave the table but my daughter was keeping me on track with her list of must-see shows!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was great to finally meet you, too! And lucky you for having seen so many of the shows already! I hope to get out there today and for sure next weekend. Keep us posted on what else you see, okay?

(Oh and now I remember what the issue was with commenting here -- I have to be signed in to a google blog account and I'm coming from Wordpress, so it's a lot of extra steps -- hopefully it works!)

Curried Jane said...

So happy to hear Remi and you are having such a blast!

Curried Jane said...

Oh, I forgot, I've applied and been selected to read at Blog Out Loud (July 23rd at the Raw Sugar Cafe). I've been told that there's still lots of space for other bloggers to read, I encourage to email them and go and read!

http://bolottawa.wordpress.com/

Campy said...

You still have to come see OREO Jamine!!! So glad you guys are having a great time! Remi is one cool kid. and you are one cool cat!