Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Goodness of People

My billet arrived today from Toronto. Paul Hutcheson is staying with me for a couple of weeks while he does his play at the Fringe Festival. The story is that I had some time on my hands, I was looking to volunteer someplace, I saw Catriona's postings and thought it would be fun to help out the Fringe Festival, I got on the email list of the volunteers and was invited to consider hosting someone from out of town who's participating in the festival. I knew instantly I wanted to but I had to talk Remi into it. When she realized it wouldn't involve someone staying in her bedroom because I renovated the Office, she didn't mind. So we signed up. We didn't know who it would be, we just said yes.

I got the room as ready as it was going to be and this morning it turns out the sheet I had for the bed didn't fit so I ended up at Wal-Mart to get a fitted sheet. I was in line and I was chatting to the woman in line and she thought it was so strange that I would open my home up to someone I didn't know. "Hide your jewelry," she said.

I told someone my billet was coming in a day or two and she wondered if that was my code word for "lover." We're so not used to sharing our homes!

I know people are people. They do crappy things. But I also know that people are totally people and that they're great and good.

Paul said he got similar comments like, "what if they're weird?" He said he told them, "then I'll leave." Exactly.

Remi got off the school bus and as we were walking home she said,"so there's some random guy at our house?" "Yep," I said. I introduced her to him when we got home and I think I can safely say they hit it off.

Come see his play at the Fringe Festival! It's on Friday, June 19 at 6:30, Saturday, June 20 at 9:30 pm, Sunday, June 21 at 4:30, Wednesday, June 24 at 7:30, Friday, June 26 at 11 pm, and Sunday, June 28 at 3pm.

2 comments:

libragal said...

This is a wonderful story! I'm so glad that you're getting so involved in the Fringe and that Remi is able to gain such valuable experience as well. It's wonderful to have you around this year - word around the tent is that you are both superstars! (i totally did not start that rumour).

Unknown said...

Remi's really proud. She's wearing her volunteer shirt to school today - don't worry - she got special permission!

I think it's probably a very good thing that she's a) loving theatre and being exposed to lots of it and b) she's enjoying being a volunteer and wants to do more of it.

And it's so great being in your presence!