Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

So Quiet in Here (More Free Parking)

I'm thinking of that Van Morrison song (So Quiet in Here) and how now things feel quieter in my head. To me that song is about being in a peaceful place, which is where I still am today. I still cried for a few seconds, but when things are good I do that pretty much everyday anyways. When an ambulance goes by and people pull over, when I see someone help someone else, something on TV, when something moves me, today it was an Alanis song on the radio. So I'm good. (By the way, her brother is an awesome yoga teacher. Check him out when he's back in town in July.)



In fact, I'm able to report that what's on my mind is parking in and around my street. It's been a pet peeve of mine for sometime how cars outside my house will be ticketed everyday before 11:30 am in a 1-hour parking zone, however, just around the corner at Rideau and Dalhousie right in front of Besserer, cars will be parked in the no stopping zone at 4:30 when I'm trying to get to yoga. I've even seen people feed the meter at that hour - in the no stopping zone. You know I've called the city to report it. More than once. They promise me by-law doesn't have a set schedule but observation tells me that they have a regular routine and my guys finish at 3 or something.

Anyway, yesterday someone on my street cleverly took a no parking sign with arrows on it near the corner of the intersection and taped over one of the arrows. What do you think is going on now? People are parking on both sides of the street and it's hard to get in and out of my street. I wonder how long it will take until by-law sees that it's duct tape over the sign. I've got to go out and get a picture to show you. Living in the city. Hmpf. I admire it when people take interesting steps to get what they want, I do.

Maybe it's because I've finally come down with a cold including headache, runny eyes, cough and I guess a bad mood, that I'm being picky.

2 comments:

April said...

Downtown living! It's amazing and it sucks!
My favourite is when the trucks park across the end of my driveway to unload in the restaurants and businesses beside me on Bank Street.
They are always apologetic when I can't get in or out of my own driveway: "I'll just be a minute!". It's always just one minute, which turns into ten. Multiply this by the 10 trucks a day that do the same thing!
It's my major pet peeve!
I just can't breathe into it!
So I park on the street while they unload their truck on my driveway that I pay $4000 per year in taxes to own. I then get sidetracked, forget about the car and pay a $40 parking ticket to the city to park on my own street while my driveway is blocked because the city won't help me deal with the trucks.
Do you see where this is going?
Ahhhh.........downtown living!

Unknown said...

I hear you! Thanks for taking the opportunity to vent :)