Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Good Morning


It must be a good morning because here I am posting a hello picture and I haven't even had a shower yet. And even though it's minus a hundred outside, someone else got the twonie (see below), I have a weird eye twitch going on, I'm in a really good mood.

A few weeks ago I was in a really bad mood. And I was losing a lot of weight, which my trainer (okay, one of my trainers, sorry Scott) had warned me about. He said, "Jamine, be careful. Make sure you eat. If you don't eat you'll feel depressed." I was still too close to the whole "incident" to really understand what he meant, plus I was looking forward to a little lightening of my load, let's say.

Then it started happening. I was so stressed that I couldn't eat. I'd wake up and feel nauseous and not be able to eat breakfast and then lunchtime would go by and I'd pick at a few things at dinner and do that again between bouts of crying. And then I remembered what Rick had told me some weeks before and I thought, "he's right." So I got some yoghurt drinks and cereal bars one day and fed myself like a baby. And one particular morning I woke up with a huge knot in my stomach and I was thinking I was all sad and scared and "oh no I'm all alooone" and then I realized something. I was hungry. That knot in my stomach was me starving. I had that sensation associated with fear and sadness but I had things a bit mixed up.

I saw Rick a few weeks after he'd told me to keep eating and this time he mentioned that I still had too many cortisols in my system and I should drink whey powder (in addition to eating every 3 hours), that it was supposed to lower your cortisols. I didn't need to do a lot of research, I trusted the man and bought myself a jar of whey powder. Well, let me tell you, that whey powder was magic. I wake up scared, I wake up strange, (sorry, that was a lame BNL reference), and then I go, "whey powder, right, drink the whey shake," and then I'm good. To be honest, I mix it with some greens plus powder too, which alone would make me hyper, but with the whey makes me feel solid. I feel so good after a few weeks of whey powder in fact, that I'm posting a morning happy photo of myself.

I don't attribute my entire turn-about in mood to Rick's advice, but I know it helped. Time has helped, more light has helped, a good attitude, meditation and yoga of course, a great future I'm creating, pink roses on the counter, good friends. And I've turned a corner. There you go.

1 comment:

April said...

Hey Jamine -
My son is a rower for Ottawa U and drinks whey powder shakes almost every morning.
They are really good for you if you don't have time to eat and need a lot of energy.
Sometimes we add yogurt and milk. He also takes vitamin D to keep him 'Happy'.
Believe it or not, they also eat a ton of Nutella which I now have to buy at Cosco! I never let my kids have it when they were young and now he eats it by the buckets!