Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Stories that Heal

It turns out that it's really helpful for me to hear stories of other peoples' break ups and their recovery while I'm going through this time. When people share that they've been through this as well and are on the other side of it, it just reminds me that I'm going to be fine, which I don't really forget, but it's still helpful to hear.

It reminds me of when I was pregnant - I loved listening to other peoples' birth stories. I still love hearing about it. I loved hearing all of the details.

These stories all tend to be victorious at the end. The babies made it, the lovers survive. Survive and go on to thrive, actually. Those are the stories I'm hearing lately. I hear about how that break up although it was hard, was key to that person moving forward and that they did move forward. I don't hear about people backsliding - they tend to do better. The next one is better. Something that Swami Kripalu said is that yoga is anything that makes you thrive. Hmm. I knew this was yoga!

In the end, there's a big loss in all relationships as eventually somebody dies. Actually, we all do. But along the way we grow stronger and more aware and able to handle loss.

I have been a particularly bad sport about this one. I'm really bummed and not holding my head up and figuring I'll do better next time. I'm a sore loser. I'll see if I can't just turn that frown upside down :) very soon, but for the moment, I'm still in the dumps. Maybe the proximity to Valentines Day adds to the drama. It was our anniversary. Boohoo.

So thanks to the people coming to help me out with their break up stories. It reminds me of my humanness - I've been wanting so bad to transcend this and just feel better, but the truth is it sucks, it's sore, it hurts, and it is on the mend. So if you've got a good break up story, bring it on. I'm all ears.

2 comments:

Satya said...

Hi Jamine. I feel like a stalker. I've been reading your blog for over a year, but never left a comment. I attended your yoga classes at Rama Lotus early last year and loved them. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I broke my routine.
My story is far from its "happily ever after" ending, but I thought you might find comfort in knowing that you're not alone. I appreciate the honesty in your blog. I started one in January. Feel free to "stalk". :)
http://satya-anew.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks for saying hi!

Yea, it's painful. It really sucks.

And it will get better. It will...