Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going to Sleep


One of the best techniques I know of for going to sleep is using the corpse pose (savasana) along with the three-part breath and ujjayi sound. I forget how great it is because I don't have trouble falling asleep anymore and if I wake up in the middle of the night I don't lay awake for long enough to need a technique to help me go back to sleep. (Although sometimes I listen to a few minutes of CBC Overnight or a couple of minutes of Seinfeld on DVD. But that didn't always used to be enough.)

I work with different groups of people and I am reminded once in a while that especially when things are tough or we're in a new setting, we may have some difficulty going to sleep.

So try lying on your back, relaxing your jaw by taking the tongue away from the roof of your mouth. Let your body be still and comfortable. Then slowly inhale and exhale so you can hear your breath in your throat. If you need more instructions try going to my website and there's a recording there.

No comments: