Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Library Card

I could get started about the library and how if they can call you the day after your book is due, surely they could have the automated caller reach you the day before your book is due, however, that's not the point.

The point is, the library has a lot of stuff that we already pay for so rather than going off and buying more stuff or ripping it off from the internet, we can actually borrow it properly. That is, if your card is "renewed."

I thought of borrowing Ann Lamott's book, Bird by Bird, but it's not checked in and it has multiple entries, and then I saw that one of her books is available for audio download. I'd heard about this but I haven't actually experienced it yet. So I click on the download digital file thing and it takes me to this other place where you can order the digital files. Cool!

I haven't used my library card in a few months so when I typed in my number it told me there's an error and they don't open until 10, so I'm just going to leave it for now. And I looked to see what other books they have and they have lots! I guess the deal with the downloads is they can only let 15 people at a time "borrow" the digital version over the lending period - I'm sure some of my librarian friends can elaborate on that - but just because it's digital doesn't mean you can get it right away, even if your library card doesn't have errors.

So I looked up Andrew Weil's site because his book on breathing sounded interesting and I found this article, which is short and sweet.

Later on I'll mosey up the Libe and find out what's up with my card and see if I can't download myself some audio books!

No comments: